Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Skip Navigation Links > Home > Arriving > Immigrate to Ontario

​​​​Immigrate to Ontario, Canada

Immigrate Canada.jpg 



Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) establishes immigration policy and makes decision on who can enter Canada.


The type of application you make depends on which immigration category you want to apply under.

You can apply for permanent residence in Ontario under the following categories:

  • Express Entry: For skilled workers and professionals
  • Start-up Visa Program: For those looking to start a business in Canada
  • Self Employed: For those who are self-employed in cultural or athletic activities
  • Family sponsorship: for those looking to sponsor a relative
  • Caregivers: for those looking to work as a caregiver to seniors, children or those with medical needs
  • Refugees: Immigrate as a refugee or become a sponsor
  • Provincial Nominee program: for workers who have skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory


You can apply for temporary residence under the following categories:

The Come to Canada tool will provide you with the requirements to enter Canada that apply to your personal situation. The Come to Canada Tool is provided by the Canadian federal government.



What documents to Bring


Making sure you bring the proper documents with you before you come to Canada will make your arrival go as smoothly as possible. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for the port of entry to Canada, please click here for more information.



​​​​Citizenship Preparation


Requirements fo​r Canadian Citizenship​-


 Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website has all the information you need to complete this process, click here.



Citizenship Test-

If your application is accepted you will ​have to write a citizenship test. Individuals between 18 years of age and 54 do not have to write the citizenship test. Find out more in How can I prepare for the citizenship test?