Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Skip Navigation Links > Home > Living > Legal Matters

Legal Matters


Citizenship and Immigration Canada website has information about your rights in Canada:

All persons rights against violence

Women's rights

  • Women's rights

  • Children's rights

  • Seniors' rights

  • Language rights


Legal Assistance 

Accessing free legal support

If you need a lawyer to protect your interests in court, you can hire one for a fee. You may also be able to get free legal services, called legal aid, depending on your income. Legal aid is a legal service offered to Canadians and residents who cannot afford to pay for it. It offers different kinds of help, depending on your legal problem.

Whether you qualify for legal aid will depend on your family responsibilities and what you must pay every month to live. Legal aid staff will decide if you qualify after they have looked at your financial situation.


Legal Aid Ontario gives low-income people access to a range of legal services tailored to meet their legal needs.


Lawyers and other legal help

How do I find a lawyer?

Here are a few ways to find a lawyer:

  • Ask friends, colleagues and family if they know a good lawyer
  • The Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) can give you the phone number of a lawyer in your are who practices the type of law related to your situation. You can alsso ask the LRS to find a lawyer who speaks your first language.
  • Browse the Directory of Certififed Specialists from the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Look in the Yellow Pages under "Lawyer"
  • You can call the lawyer for a consultation of up to 30 minutes.


Other legal help​​

If you cannot or do not want to get legal help from a lawyer, you can also get legal help from a community legal worker, paralegal or immigration consultant.

Click here for more information.