Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Skip Navigation Links > Home > Schooling > Skilled Trades and Apprenticeship


Skill Trades & Apprenticeship



This section will assist you with learning how to become a skilled labourer in Ontario, Canada.

If you work in the trades, but were trained outside of Ontario, Employment Ontario can help you get your Certificate of Qualification to work in Ontario. Here’s how:


Talk to an Employment Ontario Service Provider in your community and find out if apprenticeship is right for you. You can use the map feature on this website to find this service in your area.


You will be asked to bring the following documents with you to your appointment:

  • Your Social Insurance Number card

  • Letters from current or past employers, written on company letterhead and dated, providing the company name and address, the exact dates of your employment, your job title, and a detailed description of your duties

  • Letters from the unions you have belonged to, if applicable

  • Your certificates, diplomas, or licences

  • Official school transcripts from your training, if available, that contain course descriptions

What if my documents are not in English?

In the Halton community, the HMC Connections can assist you with translating any documents. Please click on the logo below.



For more information on working in trades, please click on Guide for Foreign-Trai​​ned Tradespeople.


Other Services for Trades Persons and Apprentices:

The Apprentice Search website is designed to help connect apprentices and employers across Ontario.


The Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) ​is a School to Work program that opens the door for students to explore and work in apprenticeship occupations starting in Grade 11 or Grade 12 through the Cooperative Education program.